welcome To The One Thimble Blog
Today we’re super lucky to have Melinda from PrimaBelle Creations sharing her free shell bikini top pattern! If you’re looking for a simple to sew top, to complete your Mermaid costume then this is the “how to” for you!
When I showed my 3 year old the Makana Mermaid Skirt (pattern by Tadah Patterns from One Thimble Issue 16) I made her, she insisted she needed a shell bikini top just like a mermaid princess! So I decided to draft a simple Shell Bikini Top to fuel her imagination!
You will need:
● The Shell Pattern Piece
● 36″ piece of Ribbon or Lace
● Fat Quarter of Fabric
● Low Loft Batting (sew in or iron on)
● Sewing Machine, Thread, Scissors, Iron
Seam allowance is 1/4″
Download Melinda’s full tutorial -> PrimaBelle Creations Shell Bikini Tutorial
Download just the pattern piece -> Shell Bikini Template – PrimaBelle Creations
1. Print off your pattern piece. Cut out the shell.
2. Cut the shell pieces from your fabric (2 mirrored pairs) and from the batting (1 mirrored pair).
4. Place one mirrored pair of fabric shells right sides together and sew around the edge, leaving a gap on one side of the shell for turning. Repeat with the other pair.
6. Turn each one the right way out and press.
8. Fold your Lace/Ribbon in half. On the underside of each shell pin the Lace/Ribbon (right side down) and with a gap in between the two. For my 3 year old I had a 1/2″ gap but you could have the gap wider for an older child just try it first.
9. Secure the Lace/Ribbon down by stitching the edges of the shell (where the topstitching is) and then turn the shells over and topstitch lines to create the look of a shell (as below). You could get fancy here if you like.
And here is a close up of the detail…
I hope you have loved this tutorial as much as I loved creating it!
MUCH Love and Happy Creating
xx Mel xx
‘Bunny Bag Pattern Hack‘
Template and Instructions to adapt the Darling Daisy Bag into a Bunny Bag
Created by Lauren Wright from Molly and Mama
For Confident Beginners
Hi there! It’s Rachel Rossi again! If you loved the Timber! Quilt, then I’ve got a special treat for you; It’s a special little accessory to go along with your Timber! quilt that your little one is sure to love! It will take them for miles and miles of adventure without ever leaving your home: it’s a perfect little reading pillow. Complete with curious bears, singing birds, and pockets galore! This pillow not only gives you a place to lean and cozy up with your favorite book, but also a place to store your current books, pencils, bookmarks, and maybe even a few small treasures.
Smocking the Amuse Boho Top from One Thimble Issue 14
I have what you would call a love/hate relationship with rayon lol!! It looks great, it drapes beautifully but oh gosh, its got a mind of its own.
If I had thought about it before getting so excited, I probably would have smocked a little on the back as well – but that can be for the next one I make.